Thinning Hair - Hair Loss & Hair Transplant Surgery Guide
It is common for people to worry that their hair is thinning, and often the hair is entirely healthy. It is normal to lose between 50-100 hairs a day, and sometimes other problems, such as depression, can make someone believe that their hair is thinning, when they are just experiencing normal hair loss.
If hair is thinning, there are a number of causes. Often mental or physical stress can lead to thinning hair; however it can be up to 2 or 3 months after a stressful event before there is noticeable thinning of the hair. There is usually complete recovery from this type of hair thinning.
There are a variety of other things that can cause thinning hair, so it is important not to presume that the condition is simply due to stress. A whole range of medications can lead to thinning hair, and the condition may develop even after you have been taking the medication for several months. If you take tablets for any medical condition it may be worth checking with the doctor if they could be responsible for thinning hair.
Again, it is worth talking to your doctor about thinning hair, as other conditions, such as low levels of iron in the blood (anaemia), or low levels of thyroid hormone, can lead to hair thinning.
Depending on the cause, thinning hair may recover once the cause is identified and rectified. However, if this is not the case, some medical and surgical options may help if it is causing a significant problem. For more information see the following section on treatments.
- UV Light Treatment
- A Guide to Alopecia
- Alternative treatments for hair loss
- Anti-Androgen Treatments
- Is baldness genetic?
- What are Cosmetic Concealers for Hair Loss?
- Why is hair loss a problem?
- Hair Replacement Surgery
- Men Hair Loss
- Myths About Baldness
- Non-surgical hair replacement
- Stopping Male Pattern Baldness
- Treating male pattern baldness
- What is a trichologist?
- Vitamin supplements for hair loss
- Hair Transplant Surgery for Hair Loss
- Hair Transplant Surgery for Male Pattern Baldness
- Hair Transplant Surgery for Thinning Hair
- Hair Transplant Surgery for Total Hair Loss
- Preparing for Hair Transplant Surgery
- Hair Transplant Consultation
- Eyebrow Transplants for Hair Loss
- Causes of Hair Loss
- Hair transplant surgeon
- Common Myths About Hair Loss
- Types of Hair Loss
- Hair Transplant Costs
- Results after Hair Transplants
- Methods for Harvesting Donor Hair
- What do hair transplants involve?
- Medical Management of Hair Loss
- Surgical Management of Hair Loss
- Bald Patches & Hair Transplants
- Hair Loss in Woman & Hair Transplants
- Alternative Management of Hair Loss