Day Before Weight Loss Surgery - Obesity Surgery Guide
Here is a list of things for you to do the day before surgery:
- On the day before your operation do not eat or drink anything after midnight. You can however, continue to take any prescribed medication.
- Remove all jewellery and leave this at home. If you wear a wedding ring then you can cover this up with sticky tape.
- If you wear glasses or contact lenses then remember to bring a case/container to hold them during your surgery.
- Keep together all the information given to you by your surgeon, such as post-surgery care, dietary advice etc.
- Pack a small case or holdall with loose, comfortable clothes and flat shoes or trainers. Also include your medications and a soft pillow. This is very useful after the surgery as your abdomen will feel swollen and sore. Use the pillow as a cushion between you and the seatbelt (on the way home from the hospital).
- If you are having treatment as a private patient then bring your insurance documents with you.
Surgery Day - weight loss surgery
You will be asked to have a bath or shower just before your admission. A nurse will check your blood pressure, and will take samples of blood and urine.
You will be visited by your surgeon and anaesthetist before surgery. This gives you the chance to ask any further questions and for them to check that everything is alright.
In order to prevent any risks of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) you will be asked to wear a pair of compression stockings. You might also be given an injection of a drug to thin the blood before surgery (Heparin).
- Gastric Banding
- Gastric Stimulation
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Biliopancreatic Diversion
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Weight Loss Surgery: Am I Eligible?
- Causes of Obesity
- What Type of Weight Loss Surgery Should I have?
- What could rule me out for weight loss surgery?
- The Weeks before Weight Loss Surgery
- The Day before Weight Loss Surgery
- Post Weight loss Surgery at Hospital/Clinic)
- Post Weight Loss Surgery at Home
- Pregnancy after obesity surgery
- Choosing a Weight Loss Surgery Surgeon
- Going abroad for weight loss surgery
- Cost/Finance for weight loss surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery after weight loss surgery
- Obesity in Adults
- Childhood Obesity
- Teenage Obesity
- Weight Loss Surgery & Teenagers
- Criteria for Weight Loss Surgery for Teenagers
- Gastric Banding for Children & Teenagers
- Gastric Bypass for Children & Teenagers
- Life after Weight Loss Surgery for Children & Teenagers
- Tackling Obesity
- Obesity Surgery FAQ's