Gastric Banding for Teenagers & Children - Obesity Surgery Guide
Gastric banding is often the preferred choice of surgery for children and teenagers. It is a very safe procedure which has minimal complications and is also reversible. It involves the surgeon placing an adjustable band around the top part of the stomach to form a small pouch. As food is eaten it travels down into this pouch. The band has a small opening through which the food moves but at a very small rate. This food then drops down into the rest of the stomach and through the digestive system as normal.
The band is adjustable which means it can be changed according to weight loss and food intake. It will result in a gradual weight loss and provided the after care plan is followed will improve quality of life for the teenager and his/her family.
Gastric banding is also known as ‘lap-banding': there are two different types called the ‘Realize' band and the ‘Lap' band which are in fact the brand names of this band. A third system called the ‘Easy' band is now available but from only one company in the UK – Healthier Weight Centres. This device uses electronics and up to now is the most sophisticated device on the market.
For more information about gastric banding have a look through our other articles.
- Gastric Banding
- Gastric Stimulation
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Biliopancreatic Diversion
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Weight Loss Surgery: Am I Eligible?
- Causes of Obesity
- What Type of Weight Loss Surgery Should I have?
- What could rule me out for weight loss surgery?
- The Weeks before Weight Loss Surgery
- The Day before Weight Loss Surgery
- Post Weight loss Surgery at Hospital/Clinic)
- Post Weight Loss Surgery at Home
- Pregnancy after obesity surgery
- Choosing a Weight Loss Surgery Surgeon
- Going abroad for weight loss surgery
- Cost/Finance for weight loss surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery after weight loss surgery
- Obesity in Adults
- Childhood Obesity
- Teenage Obesity
- Weight Loss Surgery & Teenagers
- Criteria for Weight Loss Surgery for Teenagers
- Gastric Banding for Children & Teenagers
- Gastric Bypass for Children & Teenagers
- Life after Weight Loss Surgery for Children & Teenagers
- Tackling Obesity
- Obesity Surgery FAQ's